Saturday, July 31, 2010

July 31st - I'm a Celebrity, now get these ants out of here

Today was my final day at Stella and it was quite an interesting one at that. I arrived at work at 2 PM because I was staying for the closing of the restaurant and wouldn’t be leaving the Hotel until at least 12:30 AM.

Once I arrived, I had to be fitted for my chef uniform for next week! This made me become really excited to start learning more and more about Indian cooking. Lunch was ok, paneer (which is never a favorite of mine) and yummy Indian breads. I was feeling really tired, so I made sure to grab a few cup of coffee. In India, not only do they serve coffee in smaller mugs, but also they only fill the mugs halfway! So a few cups of coffee really equals about one medium Dunkin Donuts.

After my lunch and coffee, I toured the storing facilities of the Hotel (mostly taking count of the wines and beer – it was actually really fun). Once I went back to the kitchen of Stella, the head Chef Marco (from Italy) was having a huge fight with the restaurant manager Shashwati. Chef Marco was screaming in Italian while Shashwati was screaming in Hindi. I had no idea what was going on between them, and I am pretty sure neither of them knew either. Chef Marco was so upset he left for the day before the day even started.

This event actually turned into not only a great learning experience for me, but also a great tasting experience. Chef Marco is extremely concerned about food cost, so much so that he won’t allow anyone to taste anything! His sous chef (Chef Lopes – who is actually a better chef, but because Chef Marco is Italian and Chef Lopes is Indian, Chef Marco is the Head Chef) wanted to make sure I tried the restaurant before leaving! He made me a wonderful selection of crab, mushroom ravioli with a red wine reduction, and the restaurants trademark dessert: white chocolate soufflĂ© with a hot raspberry and licorice sauce. It was so delicious (I am not sure if this was my actually palate talking or American palate finally happy to taste something that is similar to home). Either way it was delicious and I was so happy.

When I finally arrived home I found out our apartment has been raided by ANTS – ew. The ants are everywhere and I found out that it has been the ants that have been biting me while I sleep. We are getting rid of them tomorrow, just not too sure how I am going to sleep tonight. I have finally adjusted to the living conditions here and now the Gods added another element to my challenge – well, I say bring it on, but please next time not so many of them.

I have found that since my arrival in India, it is a cut throat country. I know it is bad to generalize, but I really do believe that the majority of people here live that way: survival of the fittest. People will literally not survive if they don’t put the needs of themselves in front of others, or manners for that matter. When I first arrived, I tried to be as accepting and open as possible and allowed others to kind of push me around (I really had no other choice). But now people think that is the way I am, like making me do a simple task that they should be doing. For example, one of the guys I work with in the training department asked me to pick up our chef uniforms. I was doing some other work for Stella but started to get up. My friend, Sundari, quickly corrected me by saying, “Julia, you are not working class. You (speaking to the guy) go get the uniforms.” Wow. I have never heard the term working class directed to anyone before.

I was again called a Barbie Doll today. I really cannot believe that Indians think I look like Barbie. People have become so obsessed with my skin at work I am basically a celebrity. I found out that the day I went to the Gateway of India and the crowd swarmed towards be with cameras was because they believed I was a celebrity. HA. People not only think I am a Barbie Doll, but they also think I am a celebrity. If I am a celebrity, then get me into a hotel room! But seriously, people here sometimes think that I am famous. I think the Indians believe this because I am here alone and because of my height. I have yet to meet a woman who is taller than me and I am taller than 90% of men. Also, I am much skinny than most Indians (other than the ones who are SUPER skinny and not by choice). They somewhat compliment me, but at the same time are really trying to fatten me up (it has yet to work). I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked if I model in the US. I somewhat chuckle and explain that noooo I am a student and have no plans on modeling.

Now that I think of it, why don’t I just move to India and start living large as a former American celebrity/model? JUST KIDDING believe me, I am dying to kiss the ground of JFK right now! It is not that I am not enjoying India (because the past week has turned my experience around – literally I am having so much fun) but I love America and miss it more than I thought. I don’t think it is necessarily America that I miss, it is the company of others (friends and family) that add stability and normal elements into my life that I miss. The fact that I am the only Western here has made my experience what it is: a great one. But it has also made it extremely difficult. I have no one to talk to about the extreme difference, poverty, filth, and suffering around me. I have my blog (which has been a wonderful outlet for me) but being home and talking face-to-face with others will really make a difference for me….and maybe a bacon burger would be nice as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment