Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July 26th - Spice up your life

Holy Cow. That is what I have to say about today.

When I got home, my roommate Shiny asked me what I thought of love marriages vs arranged marriages. I started to laugh and told her that those don’t happen anymore. Shiny looked at me with such a sad face and told me that her parents called her today and told her she was going to have to travel to her home on August 19th to meet her future husband and on the 22nd they would be married. OMG – all I could do was stare. I cannot believe that arranged marriages still happen let alone to my friends here in India. Shiny hasn’t even met this gut – ever! We had to look him up on facebook to see if she like the way he looked, unfortunately he isn’t a looker. But hopefully he will be nice to her, that is all we can ask for.

I told Shiny how exciting this was, that a new stage in her life was beginning. I just tried to make as positive of a spin on this as I could. I am not sure if I did it well, but I tried!

Heer and Shiny took me to the spice store this morning – boy did I have a blast. I bought so many different and CHEAP spices here in India that we cannot really buy in the States (or at least for these prices). Shiny and Heer are going to teach me tonight dishes I can make with the spices so I can actually use what I have bought. It will be great. If you have had an impact on my foody attitude towards life, get ready! I have spices for you when I return. They are so beautiful as well, so many colors and flavors, India is great. The teas too! Yum yum yum

No comments:

Post a Comment