Wednesday, July 14, 2010

July 11th - Southern Mumbai





















































I was able to sleep in today (meaning 8:30 AM)! Shiny and I went to the Hotel and took the “coach” to the market. It was a huge Mercedes Van with two Englishmen (Julian and Andy in India for business), three Swiss, three Spaniards, and one German. The Englishmen were very nice and interesting but at one point they said exactly, “Look at the monster our country created. If they were still here, nothing would be like this”!Our coach driver took us ALL over Southern Mumbai! He was great. He first took us to Dhabi Ghat, which is a famous location where the poor in Mumbai all come together and do their laundry. I am not doing it justice, it was really cool to see all the clothes hanging and all the people coming together. We then moved to Gandhi’s residence in Mumbai from 1917-1934. We then moved to Victoria Station. It was a gorgeous train station, the main station in Mumbai, and was so huge and elaborate. Finally, we ended at the Taj Hotel and the Gateway of India. The Taj Hotel was the hotel that was bombed in 2008 by the Pakistani Terrorist – needless to say the security around that hotel was crazy. Directly across from the Taj was the Gateway of India – a beautiful arch like structure right on the water. The water was SO dirty, very brown, yet people were still swimming. While Shiny and I were taking photos at the Gateway of India I realized that I was the sole Caucasian in about four blocks, literally. People were taking photos of me, asking me to be in photos with me, following me – it honestly was like I was a celebrity. Luckily, I wore a very modest outfit and was not causing more unnecessary attention then my skin already does. Shiny and I then went to the market! Colaba (the market) is known to be the best market in Mumbai. Here I haggled down two Persian Rugs (one pure silk and the other a combination of silk and wool) to about $ 125 USD each (pretty good I think). Shiny said that was an awesome deal, and it was in a real store so I was guaranteed the quality was real. Our driver (more like a body guard) occupied us to the store to make sure no one was ripping me off. I then went street shopping and bought scarves, bracelets, earrings, belts, doorknobs, shoes, trinkets, and tunics (with pants that fit this time). My last purchase of the day I think might have been my favorite: MAGNOES (the king of fruits). They are ending their season in the next month here in India, which means they are absolutely perfect to eat. The man at the fruit stand sold me a good deal (what Shiny said). He sold me the best kind of mangoes, golden, for 50 rupees (about $ 1 USD) for a kilo (about 8 mangoes). I bought my dessert for the next week or so! I do have to say I am starting to miss America. America is comfortable, clean, and rarely as upsetting as walking down the street in India. On the other hand, I am starting to fall in love with India and must call Rahol’s cousins this week! I AM GETTING INTERNT TOMORROW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment