Friday, July 30, 2010

July 30th - I'm a Barbie Girl, In an Indian World

I literally have never felt so different in my life. Today, the staff at Stella (the fine dining Italian restaurant) told me a look just like a Barbie! That is definitely the first time (and probably last) time I have ever heard that! They continued to say that because of my skin, height, and body I look just like a doll. I never would have thought to compare myself to Barbie, but since arriving in India and today being called Barbie I have found many parallels between me and good old Barbie.

Speaking of Barbie, she needs a Ken right? Which leads me to my next topic: since arriving in India I have a boyfriend! Now, this wasn’t really my choice. When I would start a conversation with someone, they would just ask, “so where does your boyfriend live?” like there wasn’t even a question as to if I have a boyfriend. I fought it at first and always laughed it off, but I have found it easier for two reasons: I don’t need to explain why I don’t have a boyfriend and I don’t need to deal with Indian men. Explaining to Indians why I don’t have a boyfriend is so annoying, they truly don’t understand why I haven’t chosen the man I want to marry yet. Also, by saying I have a boyfriend, men leave me alone – which I LOVE. When I say I’m taken, the men are still friendly, but not creepy like they once were.

Also, nobody ever thought Barbie was a teenager right? No way! Well, neither am I….in India at least. When I first arrived and told people I was only 19 they were not only shocked beyond belief, but also gave me less creditability and responsibility. So, I have decided to take the birthday of Julia Murphy from Colorado Spring, Colorado – October 28th, 1988 (21 years old). I figure it isn’t that much of a difference and really makes people give me more to do around the hotel. Plus, even when I tell people I am “21,” they all are shocked saying they would have guessed at least 24…I’m not sure if that is a compliment or an insult.

If you ran into Barbie on the street, would you talk to her? I don’t know if I would, I would be too intimidated! Well, that is what the Indian people have felt since I have arrived. People literally have been AFRAID to speak to me! The staff at the Leela are not sure if they are allowed to talk to me. I started chatting with a Management Intern named Sundari (who is so much fun and my new favorite Indian friend). Once Sundari and I finished our coffees we separated to go back to our different departments. The other Management Interns starting asking their supervisor why Sundari was allowed to talk to me and they couldn’t! Sundari texted me this story and I literally started to laugh. The next coffee/tea break, I went up to them and introduced myself and asked them to please view me as a friend. The first three weeks of my internship no one spoke to me not because they didn’t want to, it was because they didn’t think they could! So I was not only lonely, but everyone around we was dying of curiosity! Luckily I have solved that problem!

Indians have many preconceived notions of the United States. One being that all black people are gangster. The “n word” also isn’t viewed as a bad word over hear. I was flabbergasted the first time I heard a manager use the word in casual conversation and corrected him saying that offended me. He apologized and said that he never realized that word was harmful. Later, other employees used the word and everyone here literally refers to those people that way – I am still not used to it and cringe when I hear it.

Secondly, the Indians do not know much about American history. Not that I am saying they should, but they don’t even know that the British once ruled the US! Every time I explain the American history (which is actually quite a bit since I have arrived, luckily my father burned those facts into my brain) they are shocked to hear that the United States had a war against Britain. My Indian friends are also shocked to hear that I do not have “American blood.” I am not sure if they picture me being a 5th generation American, but when I explain that my mother’s family is German and my father’s family is Irish, they just cannot believe it. So then I have to continue on and explain how American is really just one big melting pot, your looks do not set you apart, once you start speaking with an accent then Americans can tell you are a foreigner.

Today was really gun though. Remember how much I hated President Kaul of the Hotel because I thought he was mean to me? Well today I got a call from his assistant saying that I needed to report to his office asap to meet someone. I almost wanted to find an excuse not to go because the last time was so horrible – I ended up crying throughout the entire hotel. But when I arrived there was Mr. Kaul’s son, Aditja, who just graduated from the Hotel School at Cornell in the Winter! He was so nice and chill, we spoke for almost 1 ½ hours about Cornell, India vs US, professors, frats, and other stuff. He is currently working at the Four Seasons in Saudi Arabia and told me if next summer I wanted to move up in the world of hospitality to contact him about the Four Seasons (obviously not in Saudi Arabia, but maybe Jackson Hole?)!

Once I finished speaking to Aditja, I received my package from the US. Mom was wonderful and sent me candy, oatmeal, toilet paper, pajamas, and pictures. It truly made my day and made me feel like an American again. I then spent the rest of the day in Stella until midnight observing and working on the floor of the restaurant. I watched the chef have a major meltdown, how the restaurant manager fixed the problem, a guest complaint, a shortage of food, how to make a menu on a budget, and much much more. I really love the restaurant and food and beverage industry so much, I really have found my calling (maybe not in the Leela or in Hotels, but definitely with food).

No comments:

Post a Comment