Saturday, July 24, 2010

July 24th

I had to wait twenty minutes for the rain to settle down today before I could possibly get a rickshaw! This past week has been horrible for rain. I spent the day in the training office catching up with American news. I am still feeling a little woozy from my stomach bug, so Indian food is not my favorite at the moment. I tried to get breakfast and lunch, but right when I walked into the cafeteria I had to leave!

When I got back to the training department, I asked if I could order a sandwich from room service and they agreed. The sandwich was pretty bad but the French fries were great! At one point I closed my eyes and could have sworn I was on the beach at Robert Moses with Mom and Grandma listening to a live band….if only!

Once the afternoon came, the office (human resources) celebrated! Two of the intern trainees birthday was today and the office bought cake from them – well everyone. There were two flavors: chocolate and pineapple. I didn’t even both trying the chocolate after my first piece of pineapple. The pineapple was fresh and soaked in honey. The cake itself was a nutmeg/cinnamon flavor with huge chunks of fresh pineapple throughout. As a topping, there was fresh rum flavored whipped cream – I was in heaven. I loved it so much, when they came around and offered me a second slice, I pounced.

Afterwards, I went upstairs and made a little fuss about not having anything to do on my ONE day off a week. My boss asked me what I would like to do, I said see Mumbai and do something India, that I can’t do in the States. He first offered to have me see an American movie, I could have coked him! He noticed the expression on my face and said he would get back to me.

I had a little bit of an emotional breakdown on the phone with poor Mom and Dad. I just felt so homesick and lonely today (definitely a low point since arriving in India). My boss came back and said that they could arrange for a driver to be with me for 8 hours, going where ever I’d like for around $ 20 USD!

I was so excited about the cab driver I went online and looked up all the locations I wanted him to take me (I went to a great tour website and copied where they take all their clients). But then I soon realized how lonely I would be, and how vulnerable – a white, single, American woman alone in Bombay? I realized that this would be safe, but not comfortable. Luckily for me I found a buddy and almost feel off my chair with joy.

After work, I went to get some ice cream with two women from the HR department – one is coming with me tomorrow her name is Peggy. Once I got home, I let Heer and Shiny use my internet for an hour, it really is a treat for them to be able to check their email so often. I am really happy I can let them do so. Heer is still really sick with a cough and Shiny said she had a fever today – good thing I am leaving for eight hours tomorrow. Well, I think tomorrow will be an adventure and open my eyes once again! India never stops surprising me.

No comments:

Post a Comment