Thursday, July 15, 2010

July 15th

I had to wake up especially early today to get to the hotel in time to audit the breakfast dining for the guests. I WAS IN HEAVEN. Although I love Indian food, I find it very hard for most Americans to say they love Indian food eating it three meals a day for two weeks straight! haha, today I was given an AMERICAN BREAKFAST with some Indian touches of course. I had an omelet with BACON (who would have thought that would be in India) and fresh delicious fruit, watermelon juice (my new favorite), and french bread. I was able to put my poor mothers mind and heart to rest and spoke to the American Embassy today and learned what precautions to take, if my housing was safe (which it currently is not), and if Kovalam is the right location. The Embassy said I am going to love Kovalam, all the elephants down there, the health factor, the clean beaches, and plethora of coconuts!

Afterwards, I went back to the office and worked on my blog for a while (haha). Tomorrow I am giving a huge presentation to 50+ employees on "How to Successfully Write a Business E-Mail." After work, some of my friends took em out for happy hour after work. Kingfisher beer (and Indian local draft) was only 30 rupees per pint - but don't worry, I only had one, ok maybe two, but that was it. I have to make sure I am safe and aware here. My new friends are all Punjabi - meaning they are from Northern India. Punjabi people are VERY proud to be Punjabi (they are the male Indians who wear the cloth on their heads and silver bracelet ONLY on the right hand). They kept telling me how India was going to surpass the USA in GDP and become a larger super power. Instead of arguing, I nodded and let them believe that. We took rickshaws (I'm telling you so scary) home, and because I living in employee housing, they live with me - so I was safe all the way to my door. When I got home I showed my roommates Shiny and Heer that I had internet and they both went crazy! So I let them play around for a while.

I have been meaning to mention the dog situation here in India. Stray dogs are everywhere and somehow manage to stay alive. They sleep literally on the streets, slowly cross the roads, and never seem to get food but always live. They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. The dogs do not bother anyone. but I really think the Indian government needs to start neutering them - but I guess the HUMAN slums everywhere are more of an issue.

The photos I have attached are from dinner! Nothing too special, but tomorrow night, the hotel is paying for me to eat at the fancy Indian Restaurant within the hotel where I will try many traditional, special Indian dishes. I AM SO EXCITED I will be taking notes and pictures the entire time!

1 comment:

  1. really sounds like a fun day and you re new adventure sounds like something from a very civilized adventure in a South Sea Resort, which what you re going to be doing. I know I'm not the only one who is NOW really jealous.

    ReplyDelete