Friday, August 6, 2010

August 6th - Bread Winner

Today was pretty uneventful from the start. I woke a little late, but was able to make it to work in about 5 minutes – the first time since arriving to India that I was thrilled to have a crazy rickshaw driver. I quickly changed into my chef uniform and hurried off to my next assignment – the Tandoori kitchen and bread station! Now, this was the INDIAN bread station, I am now a pro at what to order with what dish and how to make it from scratch. Makki di roit, chapatti, naan, dosa, pouri – you name it, I tried it and made it today!

I need started to learn abouyt tandoori. I again asked if I could copy down the recipes and was allowed to continue my wonderful recipe scribbling. I started to write and realized, why not ask if I can take photos? Again, they said yes! I was taking pictures while hurrying to write the recipes before they moved onto the next dish.

Tandoori is cooked in a metal pot that is roughly 250 degrees Celsius HOT! There are main spices, like in the curry station, but the spices are different. The majority of the flavor comes from chilli powder and cumin seeds – and maybe some masalas. The chefs kept making me eat and try the lamb, chicken, paneer – they even made me eat some raw lamb. I couldn’t really say “no,” so I tried it, and that was al I needed.

Once done with the kitchen, I was paid for my work! Not very much according to American standards, but I was getting evil looks from other employees here in India. After work, Heer and I went to go spend my money at the market! The tailor was sick and would finish the blouses tomorrow – annoying. But we continued on and I purchased bread and tandoori making materials essential to the kitchen (a round aluminum pot) and some adorable bags that must be worn with saris.

I told Heer I wanted to buy some fruit, and she suggested her favorite. Till today, I thought that artichoke was in season here in India because at every fruit stand I see artichoke! Little did I know that this “artichoke” is a delicious Indian exotic fruit that is very rare and fragile. Heer taught me how to eat this fruit, and tomorrow I will go into more detail about the name and what you must do. For now, I am so tired that I have to go to bed. TOMORROW IS MY LAST DAY OF OFFICAL WORK I really cannot believe that this experience is almost over.

1. how the bread is cooked! I learned an alternative method instead of the pot (don't worry we can make it at home!)
2. Me in the kitchen!
3. Dinner! I mix of all stret food, but from a hygienic location
4. Mystery fruit...any help?
5. BAGS





No comments:

Post a Comment